Monday, October 17, 2016

Dogs

I did expect New Yorks to be a diverse city. I expected diversity with regard to people, neighborhoods, architecture, activities, art, food, opportunities, events. But, shame on me, an element of diversity, I did not expect, but which I learned very soon is: dogs.

Dogs. Dogs. Dogs. Dogs seem to rule New York. At least, they seem to hold the parks. Central Park, Morningside Park, Riverside Park, if I just mention the parks, which are within 15 minute walking distance of Columbia Law School. Dogs are everywhere. Dogs outnumber the people strolling trough parks. (Professional dog-walkers don’t seem to be a Hollywood-invention, but do really exist)
You might think: how exciting. There are always dogs in parks. Ok true, maybe I am just not used to so many parks (a distinct feature of Columbia’s surrounding). But what I find even more striking is the great ‘dog-diversity’: Small, mouse-like dogs and tall, calf-like dogs. Big dogs and thin dogs. Friendly dogs and aggressive dogs. Beautiful dogs and ugly dogs. Playful dogs, hunting squirrels and chasing balls, and lazy dogs, who – if at all – walk on their own (some are even more clever and convinced the master to carry them). Well-trained dogs, always walking next to the owner, and overly curious dogs, exploring every single corner of the park, but not listening to the master. Hipster-dogs from Brooklyn and Williamsburg and classic-style dogs. Maybe even burger-eating dogs and vegetarian dogs.


What’s the link to Columbia Law School life? I could talk about the famous ‘dog-bite’ problem you will discuss in Legal Research and Writing class. But I won’t. And so far I don’t know about a dog-society (another founding idea?!). But there are numerous societies, you may join. And if they somehow involve an outdoor activity, you cannot but experience the dog-diversity. Just as I did this morning, when training with the Triathlon-Team, and being attacked by small, thin, friendly, ok-looking playful, curious, morningside-style, fortunately vegan dog.

This blog is featured on LLM GUIDE, a global, online community for prospective LL.M. students, and a directory of programs offered worldwide.

About

This blog is featured on LLM GUIDE, a global, online community for prospective LL.M. students, and a directory of programs offered worldwide.